Canfield High School senior Zachery Bernat recently was named the state champion in the Humorous Interpretation category after more than 1,000 students from 84 teams competed at the 2017 Ohio High School Speech League State Tournament hosted by Olmsted Falls and Berea-Midpark March 3-4.
Canfield finished in 10th place overall.
"Canfield has finished in the top 10 in Ohio eight times in the past nine years," head coach Jeremy Hamilton said.
Additionally, senior Carson Markley also was named a state finalist, finishing in seventh place in International Extemporaneous Speaking.
The Canfield High School Speech and Debate Team will send nine members, a record for the team, to the National Speech and Debate Association's 2017 national tournament in June in Birmingham, Ala.
Students from Canfield who earned recognition at the state tournament were:
Zachery Bernat, senior, Humor - State Champion
Carson Markley, senior, International Extemp - seventh place in Ohio
Jack Cross, senior, Drama - Top 12 in Ohio
- Michael Stefanick, senior, Drama - Top 12 in Ohio
- Taryn Rothbauer, junior, Original Oratory - Top 12 in Ohio
- Dominic DeRamo, sophomore, United States Extemp - Top 12 in Ohio
- Eva Lamberson, junior, Lincoln-Douglas Debate - Top 16 in Ohio
- Gregory Halley, sophomore, Humor - Top 24 in Ohio
- Smaranda Solomon, junior, International Extemp - Top 24 in Ohio
- Anna Sinclair, junior, United States Extemp - Top 24 in Ohio
- Jen Smith, junior, Public Forum Debate - Top 32 in Ohio
- Dominic DuPonty, junior, Public Forum Debate - Top 32 in Ohio
- Ben Lawson, junior, Congressional Debate - Top 48 in Ohio
- Drake Safranic, junior, Congressional Debate - Top 48 in Ohio
The team's national qualifiers are:
- Zachery Bernat - Humor
- Mitchell Halley - Humor
- Carson Markley - International Extemp
- Eva Lamberson - Lincoln-Douglas Debate
- Grant DeCapua - Public Forum Debate
- Michael Factor - Public Forum Debate
- Jen Smith - Public Forum Debate
- Dominic DuPonty - Public Forum Debate
- Dominic DeRamo - United States Extemp